PRAYER…SIMPLY SPEAKING WITH JESUS

WORKOUT WEDNESDAY

A Midweek Spiritual Workout with
Fr. Marino H. Msigala, OFM Capuchin

PRAYER…SIMPLY SPEAKING WITH JESUS

When the pastor arrived to anoint Johnny, his elderly parishioner, he noticed an empty chair beside his bed. The priest thought that the chair was for him and thanked him. But Johnny explained that it was not.

"All my life, I never knew how to pray. Often, I heard others talk about prayer, but it went right over my head. I finally gave up." Johnny continued, "Until one day four years ago, a friend said to me, "Johnny, prayer is a simple matter of having a conversation with Jesus. Try this. Sit down, place an empty chair in front of you, and imagine Jesus sitting there with you. Remember, He promised, 'I will be with you always'. Then speak to Him just like you're doing with me."

"So, I tried it, and I liked it so much that I do it for a couple of hours every day. I'm careful, though. If my family saw me talking to an empty chair, they’d either have a nervous breakdown or send me away.”

The story deeply moved the priest, and he encouraged Johnny to continue his journey. Then he prayed with him, anointed him, and returned to the church.

Two nights later, the family called to tell the priest that Johnny had died.

"Did he die in peace?" the priest asked.

“Yes, he said his farewells to each of us. We left for a few minutes, and when we returned, we noticed something strange. Apparently, just before he died, he leaned over and rested his head on the chair beside the bed. What do you make of that?"

The priest wiped a tear from his eye and said, "I wish we could all go that way.”

On this SPIRITUAL WORKOUT WEDNESDAY, remember that prayer is a natural outcome of our personal relationship with Jesus. Sit with Him as you would with your best friend and have a personal conversation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEN WAYS TO LOVE

6 RULES OF LIFE

FACING OUR LITANY OF FEARS WITH FAITH