THE JOURNEY HOME


THE JOURNEY HOME

Fr. Marino Shares the Story of His Long Journey Back Home to Tanzania

Dear Friends,

Peace and blessings from Tanzania!

I thought you might like to hear about my adventurous journey back to my homeland. So here is the itinerary. As you may guess, I still suffer from jet lag, but I’m improving daily.

Although my chauffeur, Fr. Jonathan Ulrick, got me to the Pittsburgh airport in plenty of time for my intended 7:00 p.m. flight to Dallas on Tuesday, May 7, American Airlines had other plans, resulting in delays. The plane evidently had mechanical difficulties, and the delays continued through the evening. We finally took off for Dallas in the middle of the night on Wednesday, May 8.

When we arrived in Dallas in the early morning of Wednesday, May 8, delays continued, and eventually, my flight to Qatar was canceled. American Airlines provided a two-day stay at the Hawthorne Suites/Wyndham Hotel just outside the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport. I was grateful to be able to shower, sleep, and prepare for the next leg of my journey.

I returned to the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport refreshed and prepared for travel and had the good fortune to meet Fr. Bob Marva, the Provincial Minister, who was on his way to Papua New Guinea. We enjoyed a brief visit and then went our separate ways.

The 14-hour flight to Qatar took off around 11:00 pm. on Wednesday, May 8. We landed around 10:30 p.m. and had a 2-hour layover. We departed around 2:30 am on Thursday, May 9. I thought the next portion of my travels would be direct to Dar es Salaam, but instead, Qatar Air decided to give me a little tour of Kilimanjaro and its environs. So, we sat in the plane, on the runway, while the mechanicals were being repaired for four hours! It was a very long four hours!

Finally, on Friday, May 10, around 1:00 p.m., I arrived at our motherhouse in Dar es Salaam, safe and sound but a bit worn for the wear. Amazingly, my luggage arrived safely, too. The lesson of travel is that “man plans and God laughs.” I think God had a great big laugh as He watched me meander through airports, hotels, land, sea, and sky as I made my way home. It was a long and arduous journey, but I reached my destination successfully. My brother, Celestino, joined me for the eight-hour drive to our village.

So, I’m back home, adjusting to the inevitable jet lag, eating some traditional meals, and reconnecting with our friars. On Tuesday, May 14, I left our Provincial House in Dar es Salaam and am now at our family home in Kibakwe Village in the Mpwapwa District of the Dodoma Region. I am at home with my mother and one of my nephews. My nine siblings and their spouses will visit over the next few weeks for a bit of a reunion. I know they will want to hear about my adventures in the States, and thanks to you, I have many stories to share!

Thanks to each of you, my dear friends, for your hospitality, generosity, and kindness during my time with you. It was the experience of a lifetime. Each of you has been a very special gift to me in your own way. I learned so much that will help me in my ministry here at home. Your presence in my life has created memories that will carry me through a lifetime. I treasure our time together and hope that we can stay connected through texts and emails. I will miss being with you, sharing stories, eating, and praying together. Your presence in my life is most memorable. Please pray for me as I will for you. 



And now, three blessings for you: 

May the LORD bless you and keep you! 
May the LORD let His face shine upon you and be gracious to you
May the LORD look upon you kindly and give you peace
May the LORD bless YOU!  Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEN WAYS TO LOVE

6 RULES OF LIFE

FACING OUR LITANY OF FEARS WITH FAITH